As Music CD is going away, more and more music are coming online as streaming music service, such as Last.fm, Pandora, iTunes radio, AOL Music, etc. You may find some cool songs you want to record and download to your computer for free. And this step by step guide will show you where you can download free streaming music and how to record the streaming audio. This tutorial is easy to follow, even you are computer newbie can handle with it.
Where to download free online streaming music
Due to copyright restrictions, there are some limitations for some streaming music websites. Such as you have to pay for membership; limit to how many songs you can listen to; selection of music for free accounts is very small, etc. But I have collects some cool streaming music websites, they offer premium quality music for absolutely no price whatsoever, without any compromises.
- 8tracks.com – Listen for free to the best internet radio, crafted by people who know and love music. Or, legally share your own online mixtape, a streaming playlist with eight or more tracks. Mac users can benefit from the uploader, dragging songs directly from iTunes to the desktop app to upload mp3s. Each playlist must consist of at least 8 tracks, a throwback to mixed tapes.
- grooveshark.com – Grooveshark needs no introduction, and is possibly one of the best services currently available with unlimited playback and playlist creation capabilities. Best used when creating your own playlist, Grooveshark also provides a few playlists of their own, with the most popular music of the moment.
- wearehunted.com – We Are Hunted is the ideal streaming music service for people want to stay on top of the latest trends. The constantly updated 100 song playlist consists of the most popular songs at any given time on the net.
- musicuo.com – Musicuo’s interface may not be in English, this Spanish site’s interface is reminiscent of iTunes, cover flow and all. Listen to music by genre, search for specific artists, and create playlists. Create a playlist using the Add Playlist button at the bottom of the menu, and drag songs from your search results to the playlist.
- aupeo.com – Aupeo lets you stream music by genre, mood, artist, personalised stations and much more. While they do have premium accounts, the main differences are higher quality music files, and playback intermittently interrupted with short adverts. Aupeo has similar features to Last.fm, with the ability to love, ban and add songs to your favourites.
How to record streaming audio
I have tried many music recorders, some free and some cost, they are neither record in bad quality, nor have virus. And I strongly recommend this streaming audio recorder. It supports almost all streaming audio websites. I have scanned it with Norton, it’s free without any virus and spyware. And the following will show you how to use it to record streaming music.
- Download the streaming audio recorder at first, the installation is easy. There is one process should be noticed, during the installation, there will be a pop-up window asking you to set the default playback device. Please select the right playback device by clicking on Test button; you will hear testing sound if the Playback Device was correctly selected.
- After the installation, lunch the program. Go to the streaming music website you want to record and start play the streaming music. Click on Record button when you want to record the music. There will be audio spectrum graph on the top right showing there is music being playing.
- After about 30 minutes, all the music being played has been recorded. Check the downloaded list. When you are going to finish the recording, simply click on Stop button.
Tips about this streaming audio recorder
- Remember that you need to let the music play through while Streaming Audio Recorder is recording.
- According to the program official statement, it supports almost 500 online streaming music websites, and the following websites are tested by myself:
GUBA, NPC, MySpace, archive.org, BBC Radio Audio, iTunes radio, RTVE, Sirius Radio, Radio Blog Club, XM Radio Online, AOL Music, Pandora
- The music will be recorded in mp3 format by default, you can change the output format and output directory in the setting panel.
- After recording the music, you can edit the music’s ID3 information, such as title, artist, and album by clicking on Track Info button.