The new iPhone has arrived, you will have one and you may want to transfer files from your old iPhone to the new iPhone, including Apps, Contact, Song, Movie, Game, Photos, etc. Or your computer crashed and you lost iTunes library, you want to retrieve the data files from iPhone or iPod touch back to iTunes. This guide will show you the steps to do that. It will also include the part of transferring files from iTunes to iPod or iPhone for new user.
How to transfer Apps, Contact, Song, Movie, Game, Photo from iPod and iPhone
For iPhone and iPod touch Apps. This works for Windows computer and Mac OS X
- Connect your iPhone or iPod to computer, and then iTunes will detect your device automatically.
- Right click on your iPhone or iPod in iTunes and select “Transfer Purchases“. You should see a progress bar in iTunes and your phone should read “Sync in Progress”.
- This process will copy all of your purchased files (including Apps, Games, Movie, etc.) into iTunes library, (Tips: In order not to miss Apps, you can select your iPhone in iTunes and then go to the “Applications” tab, and make sure that all of the apps are selected.)
- If everything went as planned, all of your Apps, Games, Movies that were purchased on your iPhone or iPod touch should now appear in iTunes.
Transfer the non-purchased Apps from Cydia for jailbreak iPhone or iPod, follow this way
- Install aptbackup from Cydia and run it to backup your apps. This will make a list of all your Cydia installed apps and put the list in a location that can be backed up by iTunes.
- Sync with iTunes. Do the full backup. It may take you a while (It took me about 20 minutes to backup 4GB files). If you disabled backup in iTunes then you can still backup by right clicking on the device under “Devices” on the left and selecting “backup”. Do not get impatient and interrupt the backup. If you do, it will be corrupted and useless. You would lose everything on your restore. After the process finished, you should have a backup file.
- If you want to transfer the Apps to another jailbreak iPhone or iPod, please continue. At first, you have to update your iPhone or iPod to the latest firmware, and then jailbreak it. Here is a guide regarding how to jailbreak iPhone
- Using Cydia, install aptbackup. This is the most important part; do not skip any of it. The rest of this step will allow you to correct any problems you encounter in the next steps.
a) Install open SSH.
b) If you had 5 icon dock installed before the upgrade, install that now also.
c) Install BossPrefs
- Restore your backup from iTunes. Just connect your iPhone or iPod to the computer and when asked, restore as a backup from whichever iPhone or iPod touch you had.
Transfer non-purchased songs and videos from iPhone or iPod to computer iTunes
The above method works only for purchased thing. For the non-purchased songs or videos such as limewire free downloaded songs, CD ripped music, etc. You need a third party software to do that. I have tried many iPhone iPod transfer software and strongly recommend this iPhone iPod Transfer to you. Compare with others, this one works more stable and smoother. It also has Mac version.
- Download and install the iPhone iPod transfer, and then connect your iPhone or iPod to computer. If your iTunes runs automatically, close it manually.
- Run the iPhone iPod transfer, it will scan all files on your iPhone or iPod.
- Once the process finished, click the files you want to transfer and click “Export” to transfer them to your computer iTunes. Done.
How to sync iTunes song, video, photos, apps to iPhone and iPod
This part is for the new iPhone or iPod user. If you purchased all the files from iTunes store:
- Connect your iPhone or iPod to computer, and then run iTunes
- Select your iPhone or iPod in the Devices section on the left side of the iTunes window.
- Click sync, iTunes will upload the songs, videos, podcast to your iPhone or iPod.
For Apps. Go to iTunes store to download the Apps you want, for jailbroken iPod, you can also download apps from Cydia. The apps will automatically be added to your iTunes library in the Applications section on the left and be ready for syncing to your iPod by default. Sync your iPod touch or iPhone with the computer you’ve downloaded the app onto and the apps will automatically be added to your iPod.
With the latest version of iTunes, it supports drag and drop, you can sync Apps to iPod or iPhone easily.
For photos. You can make a folder at first, then copy all your photos to the folder.
- Connect your iPod or iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
- In the main iTunes browser window, select the Photos tab. Select the checkbox labeled “Sync photos from” and then choose “Choose Folder”.
- If you want iTunes to also include the full-resolution versions of your photos, select the “Include full-resolution photos” checkbox. To access full-size photo files, be sure to enable your iPod for disk use. Once you have decided which photos you’d like to sync, click Apply.